SEO is the watchword of this generation. In fact, it is the future of marketing. It not only helps to bring improvements in business practices, but also improves bottom lines. It involves optimisation, analysis and measurement. This makes it a powerful and profound tool for insightful marketing.
Here are a few SEO techniques to shift gears:
Make use of XML sitemaps
XML sitemaps are used by search engines to crawl through webpages. It is often placed in the root directory. It contains all the URLs and information about the webpages. (Make sure that the maximum file size of the sitemap should not be more than 50 MB.)
Advantages of using XML sitemaps:
- Enhances the ranking of a website.
- Helps to keep a website organised.
- Helps search engines to efficiently crawl a website.
- XML sitemaps are easy to create and update.
- Make sure that the sitemap added is valid.
- Use sitemap validation tools such as http://tools.seochat.com/tools/site-validator/, http://ipullrank.com/tools/map-broker/, etc.
Write clear Meta Descriptions
Meta descriptions can influence rankings; hence they are important. A clean, clear, relevant and actionable meta description helps to increase click-through as well as conversions.
- Keep your descriptions persuasive.
- Keep it short and simple.
Focus on URLs
URLs can directly affect your site’s rankings. That is why, it is essential to integrate keywords into your URLs. It will help you to improve your site’s visibility. (A URL is human-readable text that was designed to replace the numbers (IP addresses) that computers use to communicate with servers.- Moz)
- Create URLs that are descriptive and have keywords.
- Keeping URLs as simple, relevant, and accurate as possible.
- Study – https://moz.com/blog/15-seo-best-practices-for-structuring-urls
- Always use hyphens to separate words.
Focus on Conversion rate optimisation
It is a well known fact that conversion rate optimisation happens after a visitor is converted into customers. For that, you need to identify keywords driving traffic to your website.
- Identify what customers are looking for.
- Know who your customers are (specially their age, demographic, and interest).
- Use Qualaroo to survey visitors.
- Test different versions of a web page at regular intervals.
- Add a professionally shot video on the home page of your website.
- Optimise navigation.
- Use Facebook Connect to increase traffic and user engagement. (https://blog.kissmetrics.com/facebook-connect/)
- Never use unclear category structure on your website.
Fix duplicate content issue
Brands often face the challenge of creating fresh and relevant content. Today, most companies use duplicate content; however, it creates problem when it comes to search engines. (According to a study, up to 29% of the web is actually duplicate content!)
- Always focus on HTTP vs. HTTPS or WWW vs. non-WWW pages.
- Write fresh and relevant product information.
- Use 301 redirection.
- Use Rel=”canonical” attribute.
- Perform a content audit.
- Use content auditing tools.
So, make sure that you use all the above given SEO techniques to transform your business.